In this section:
- Bindon Mill Hydro-Turbine, Wool
- Botley landslip repair scheme
- Bournemouth Beach Groynes
- Colnebrook, Scour Protection
- Emergency Sea Wall Stabilisation, Dover
- HALFWAY BRIDGE SCOURS
- Hambledon gabion retaining wall for a new drainage outlet
- Hamble Embankment
- Lilliput Road Retaining Wall for Property Development
- Long Curtain Moat
- Pirbright embankment stabilisation
- Poole Town Quay (Phase 2)
- Romsey Road Bridge Replacement (M27)
- Wrecclesham Landslip Repairs
Pirbright embankment stabilisation
Customer – Geoffrey Osborne Ltd., on a Network Rail multi-functional framework
Date – May – June 2016
Project duration – 6 weeks
Type – Earthworks, Gabion baskets
Network Rail had identified a failing embankment near Army Training Centre (ATC) Pirbright, Surrey. Left unattended, this could have caused a landslip, rendering the section of track between Farnborough Station and Brookwood Station on the mainline to Woking impassable by trains.
Added complexity to the project arose from access to the site location – which was in the vicinity of an Ministry of Defense (MoD) base, with limited surrounding access.
After going through pre-commencement discussions with the MoD over the use of the site, constant communication between site-based management and military personnel ensured the safety and security of the base.
Multiple pontoons were constructed, and used to span the nearby canal. Suttle Projects carried out temporary works buoyancy calculations to enable its construction, and restricted the project to a 14t limit on plant machinery for crossing the pontoon.
Mesh baskets were lifted into place on the embankment and were pinned down by site operatives. Close attention was paid to risks involved in working on the embankment, and a temporary fall arrest system was installed to ensure the operatives’ safety whilst working on the steep slope.
Gabion stone supplied by Suttle Stone Quarries was then added to the baskets.